Hiring the Church Hall
The Church Hall, known as the Green School, is available for hire. It is an attractive, traditional building, suitable for a number of uses. It has two main rooms which can be separated if needed. It is suitable for meetings, groups, and children's parties and can even fit a small bouncy castle inside! There are accessible toilets, a baby change facility, and a small servery for making tea and coffee.
To hire the hall, it costs just £12 per hour.
If you are interested in booking the hall, please check to see if your preferred date and time is available.
The Church Hall is located opposite the Church, on the other side of the road. It was built in 1851 as an elementary school for girls and became known as the Green Coat School. It was built on land donated by the then Rector, Reverend William Hildyard, and Mary Wensor and Elizabeth Molecey who gave money for it to be built and towards its upkeep. In 1874 the building was extended to include infant boys. In 1942 there was a merger with the Boys Endowed and the schools became the Endowed and Green School under one headteacher with the Green School becoming the infants. By the 1960s, children of both sexes were being taught in the Green School and at various other locations in Market Deeping.
Later, in 1967, the William Hildyard Church of England Primary School opened in Godsey Lane which provided much improved learning facilities. The Diocese of Lincoln then handed responsibility for the Green School over to St Guthlac's Church for use by the church and the people of Market Deeping. The building is now overseen by a management committee nominated by the Parochial Church Council. In 2004 work was carried out to the electrical system and toilets, and in 2016 to the heating system.
There is a glimpse of what life was like at the Green School in 1928 in this article on the Deepings Heritage website.